[ExI] Phishing URLs: was The enthusiast

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Mon Aug 20 16:59:15 UTC 2007

Samantha, did you look at that citation before you forwarded it?  (I
assume you didn't construct the hidden URL you sent out.)

What people with mailers that display html saw looked like this:

The Enthusiast by David Ewing Duncan
A controversial biologist at Harvard claims he can extend life span and
treat diseases of aging. He may be right.
http://www.technologyreview.com/Biotech/19172/

Both the title and the url were encoded links.  And while the URL works
fine, the link under it was something obnoxious!

"http://cl.exct.net/?ju=fe3115747c650675741474&ls=fdef1573716c0d7872107371&m=ff011674776105&l=fec4127776650574&s=fe2f167274620075741371&jb=ffcf14&t="

There's no way for anyone to safely click on something like that.  It
would be much more polite to just send us the visible link, and not the
obfuscated link that presumably goes through someone's tracking system.

Grumble,
Chris
--
I think that, for babies, every day is first love in Paris. Every
wobbly step is skydiving, every game of hide and seek is Einstein

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org
http://mydruthers.com