[ExI] LA Times: "Chasing Memory" Parts 1 & 2 of 4

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 20:26:08 UTC 2007

These are links to parts one and two of a four part series on Gary
Lynch's UC Irvine neuroscience lab called "Chasing Memory", from the
front page of the Los Angeles Times, which began on Sunday, August
19th.

"He has, for almost the length of his career, been trying to answer
essentially a single pair of questions: What happens in the brain when
a human being encounters a new experience so that he or she can recall
it at will tonight, tomorrow, in 2025? And what goes wrong when we
can't remember?"

Gary Lynch is described as an "often polarizing figure in his field,
that he had a reputation for being pugnacious, and that he had been
uncannily right about a lot of things over a very long time."  And he
believes, "we're about to nail this mother to the door."

I am only including links (which I have pulled myself...) for the
articles, since each is long.

Part 1:
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-na-memoryfirst19aug19,0,5585770.story?coll=la-news-science

Part 2: