[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Thu Aug 23 16:16:37 UTC 2007

"Randall Randall" <randall at randallsquared.com>

> I don't know whether emotions are
> necessary for intelligence, but the argument
> that if they weren't, they'd have been
> removed by evolution also proves that you
> can't build airplanes without feathers,
> because if they weren't necessary for flight,
> evolution would have removed them.

There is however a rather obvious difference between these examples. Yes,
I can point at an airplane that flies just fine despite a lack of feathers,
and I can point at a creature that is very emotional but has little or no
intelligence; but you can NOT point to an intelligence that is not
emotional, it remains as mythical as the Unicorn. I can supply concrete
examples to support my view, you can supply none to support yours.

 John K Clark