[ExI] free-will, determinism, crime and punishment.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Aug 26 14:08:46 UTC 2007

"Randall Randall" <randall at randallsquared.com>

> There are various psychological abnormalities
> (autism, etc) that seem to point at the
> possibility of intelligence without emotion

It's odd you would use as an example an intelligence that just doesn't work
very well, but no matter, anyone who has seen an autistic person in a rage
or a panic knows that sometimes their problem is too much emotion not too
little.

> but I'll agree that we have no clear-cut
> evidence for the possibility.

OK.

> I think that biological evolution  probably does
> favor emotions, because they serve as useful heuristics.

I agree.

> While this  suggests that entities of the future which
> survive will be emotional on some level

I think your statement is a bit too understated but basically I agree.

> it doesn't seem to give any guidance on whether
> it's possible to build AI without emotion.

But then at the very least you must agree it would be easier to build an AI
with emotion than one without that "useful heuristic". And remember,
whatever AI gets there first will win the field.

> In this case, absence of evidence is only very
> weak evidence of absence, in my opinion.

it is never a good sign if your theory cannot point to concrete examples
while a competing theory can. I can point to such examples, you cannot.

  John K Clark