[ExI] Books for the holidays?

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sun Dec 2 23:02:16 UTC 2007

 > as other cyberpunk like C. J. Cherryh and her _Cyteen_ (but got annoyed

I'm a Cherryh fan, but like John Brunner, the quality varies widely.
I'm nearly done with her "Rusalka", and I may not go on to the sequels.
But I've liked practically everything in the Chanur universe.  Which is
not to say that any of it is "A" material; it's just good entertainment.

 > _Diaspora_

A real winner.  I've found myself referring to the orphanogenesis scene
several times over the last few months.
http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/DIASPORA/01/Orphanogenesis.html

Egan's other brilliant book is "Permutation City".  The rest are fun to
read, but not mind-changing.

 > _Neuromancer_,

That was a real stunner when it came out.  So much is derivative of it
that it may not carry the same impact unless you can read it with a
fresh mind.  Some people can read old books and forget what came after,
and some can't.

 > _Hyperion_

The first couple of books in this series were quite good, but it trailed
off.

 > _The Book of the New Sun_ which includes:
 >         _The Shadow of the Torturer_
 >         _The Claw of the Conciliator_
 >         _The Sword of the Lictor_
 >         _The Citadel of the Autarch_
 > all by Gene Wolfe.

Quintessential Wolfe.  If you like writers who understand how to
exercise the language, I strongly recommend this series.  Wolfe has some
other really good books and series, but this is my favorite.

 > _The Golden Age_
 > _The Phoenix Exultant_
 > _The Golden Transcendence_
 > all by John C. Wright

Counter-recommended if you ask me.

 > And maybe it is time that I purchase a copy of _Accelerando_,

This was a lot of fun, as much for all the inside references as for the
story.  Stross really understands the future we're talking about and how
quickly it will arrive.

 > _A Fire Upon the Deep_ and a paper back copy of _A Deepness in the Sky_.

Vinge has written quite a few winners, and I thought this series was
among them.  Each book has a different set of contrasting races that
explore what it means to be intelligent.  Group minds, uplifted sessile
"creatures", and on and on.  The future tech will be less unbelievable
just a short time after they were written, but that shows Vinge's clear
vision, too.

What a fun collection to look forward to!

Chris
--
C. J. Cherryh, "Invader", on why we visit very old buildings:
       "A sense of age, of profound truths.  Respect for something

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org