[ExI] [wta-talk] Books for the holidays?

Seien seienchan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 21:10:42 UTC 2007

>Just for fun, consider Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series: "The
Golden
Compass", "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass".  They are young-adult
and
quick and pleasant. Plus a bit thought provoking. Not sure how extropian
they are,
but they do aim at "doing away with the finality of death"... although I'm
not clear
>about the retention of consciousness! It seems implied but no description
of how.
In Britain, the first book is called "The Northern Lights". :)

I'd argue that HDM are worthy less because they deal precisely with the
Transhumanist aims, but more because in their entirety they promote rational
and dynamic thought. They're honestly just very excellent books that promote
very excellent ideas, executed skillfully. Also, I believe a lot of the many
worlds concept in the second book was at least in part inspired by David
Deutsch's work on Quantum Mechanics (everett's interpretation, anybody?),
which can only be a good thing.