[ExI] fermi paradox- weighted summary

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 6 14:57:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 02:36:15PM +0000, BillK wrote:

> If you allow unknown technology, anything is possible.

Self-replicating technology, phased array radiators with lightminute
aperture and gray sail probes are not exactly off-the wall.

> (Or, at least no presently available technology, or speculative

Why would any culture be limited to presently available technology?

> technologies that may never become feasible).

Any self-rep systems will become visible over astronomical
distances, given a mere few megayears.

> Seth (and you) know that 0.9c travel requires huge energy use and

Huge? Energy density less than a fusion weapon. And of course
you leave the drive at home.

> tremendous radiation shielding. (And you need wild speculation to

Why would you need radiation shielding at mere 0.9 c? Why would
you not rather self-heal all the time?

> permit this). He even provides a link to such speculations for you.
> <http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/060308_exotic_drive.html>

I don't think I need links for speculations, thanks.

> If you assume insane advanced cultures will do this.

If you think darwinian systems are insane, welcome to the loony bin.

> I don't.

You should write a paper on what you think. I'm less interested in opinions.

> Yea, I guess the Universe could be being eaten by something that we
> can't detect.

You can -- look in the mirror. But anybody else can't see us, because
of anthropic effect.

> I'll start digging my shelter tomorrow.

Shelters only buy you very little time.