[ExI] Morality and Meta

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 17:07:59 UTC 2007

"Morality is a sign of matured development in human society." This was
my reply on 12-12-07 to Keith's post and below is the continued quest:

Keith: "You are making this statement in opposition to a truly massive
background of scientific studies over the last 20 years. We now know
exactly what part of the brain are specialized to make moral decisions."

My reply: My understanding of morality as a sign of maturity relates to
a mind's ability to discern rationality from fantasy/irrationality.
This is in synergy with EP and other scientific studies/theories which
are still being tested until proven otherwise.

Keith: I would be hard pressed to come up with any society did "see
reason
from fantasy."  The number rational thinkers is small, the number
whose actions are guided by rational thinking is even smaller."

Well said. Our global society is an example of your statement. You need
not go to another planet to escape the global exploitation of our
natural resources. The majority cling to irrational solution in other
words they only see what they want to see.

Keith: "There isn't *a* morality gene. A large number, maybe half of
human
genes, are involved in the growth and organization of the
brain.  These genes cause the specialized structures to form that
fMRI researchers see active in making moral decisions."

My reply: Morality is a meme invented by religious believers in the
hope that the individual would behave according to traditions or values
of said society. Morality values are arbitrary so to speak. Those who
cling to what is seen as valuable without evidence or further tests are
in the majority.

Terry