[ExI] Morality Meme vs.Rationality

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 20:38:36 UTC 2007

Seine wrote:
"I tend to think of rationality as a sign of being civilised,
intelligent,
moral, rather than a sign of being biologically fully formed. A child
can be
rational too, and would be if it weren't for all the irrationalities in
the
parenting memeplex."

My reply: Rationality comes with emotional maturation, a biological
process involved in the development of a well balanced individual. A
child can be intelligent in some aspect but maybe emotionally unstable.
There are many forms of intelligence such as emotional intelligence
wherein a study conducted in the early nineties showed those who have
emotional intelligence have a better chance of succeeding in the
corporate world.

Siene: Our culture prizes things like reason, making good decisions,
optimism,
pride in humanity. Others don't. The two kinds of culture aren't the
same,
and they aren't equally valuable. One of them is abhorrent."

Pardon me but what you see as abhorrent maybe a sign of
irrationality/emotional immaturity. Our culture rewards symbols of
success in politics, business and academics, the end products of
national pride and some use of rationality by chance. Those who cling
to symbols of morality do not always use reason.

Terry