[ExI] Turing test

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 21:52:51 UTC 2007

"Structures and Strategies for Complex Problem Solving, 5th Edition
(Addison-Wesley; 2005). "The Turing test measures the performance of an
allegedly intelligent machine against that of a human being, arguably
the best and only standard for intelligent behavior. ... The Turing
test, in spite of its intuitive appeal, is vulnerable to a number of
justifiable criticisms. One of the most important of these is aimed at
its bias toward purely symbolic problem-solving tasks. It does not test
abilities requiring perceptual skill or manual dexterity, even though
these are important components of human intelligence. Conversely, it is
sometimes suggested that the Turing test needlessly constrains machine
intelligence to fit a human mold. Perhaps machine intelligence is
simply different from human intelligence and trying to evaluate it in
human terms is a fundamental mistake. Do we really wish a machine would
do mathematics as slowly and inaccurately as a human?"

What I wish is to make humans perfect in every way, intelligent-wise
and emotionally balanced individual/ a utopian dream. Some think we are
nothing but thoughts, energy driven brains aka mind. Wisdom arise from
directly experiencing reality according to ancient philosophers. How
can a machine think non-thinking to see reality as it is? Some Zen
Buddists practice seeing without assumptions and judgemental views. A
robot is already pre-programmed to think within the box. To Zen
practitioners there is no box.

Terry