[ExI] disappearing car door

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 21:59:18 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 9:57 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Oops, ja I was too quick to hit send.  Good eye Kevin.  When I study the
> video there are a couple of dead giveaways.  In those Lincolns, they called
> them prototype conversions.  But those cars are rear wheel drive.  So their
> frames would be in the way of a circular arc door.  There was another
> giveaway: watch when the ladies get into the cars.  The suspension doesn't
> settle.  Those big road couches have relatively long travel cooshy
> suspension.  Even my bony ass makes them settle when I get in.

This back from my car pro friend:

"Maybe they're right!

"It's theoretically possible though because on that model Lincoln the
frame is integral with the chassis.  The doors could stop at the
driveshaft and sensors could've determined that there was proper road
clearance under the car before the doors actuated to insure at least
½" clearance from the ground or something.

"Smartest of all is if this really was CGI and they used it to
supplement their corny working model (shown) to get VC funding rather
than actually build out the Lincolns – on the presumption that the CGI
was less expensive, of course.

"I still like it."

However, while I like disappearing/reappearing... well, pretty much
anything in design... I'm generally with Eugen.  Cars over the last
decade or so have been unbelievably.... <yawn>... uninspiring.  My car
friend and I laugh at the "new" technology that's a hundred years old.
 We wander the car shows looking for something to get excited about.
And what about the unbalanced, unconstructive, uninteresting lines on
everything?  I also get frustrated by the industry's general slowness
to adopt positive, constructive ideas.  Eugen's also right about fuel
cells!  Makes me crazy!

Instead, I find myself lusting after vintage cars, because their
design is splendid and some of their ideas, even if they didn't last
the test of time, are inspired.  And although this is personal,
there's something deeply satisfying driving a car that's a purely
mechanical object.  It has a totally different feel than a highly
computerized car.

> What's wrong with simple sliding doors, a la Mazda M5?

Our kidmobile (aka minivan) has the auto-sliding doors and they work a
treat, both automatically and manually if necessary.  But
aesthetically and practically, they do work better on big, boxy
things, like peoplemovers.  Not sleek coupes with rooflines that drop
down past the open door line.  For the most impractical, but beautiful
door, I'll take the gullwing anyday.  In my fantasies, it's a 1950's
300 sl Merc... <sigh>...

Okay, I'm back now.  :)  Time to get the kids in the peoplemover.  And
move 'em around.

PJ