[ExI] Why is xmas 'the holiday season' in America??

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Sun Dec 16 18:56:48 UTC 2007

On Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:48 PM Damien Broderick
thespike at satx.rr.com wrote:
> ben wrote:
> > > Can someone tell me why Americans refer to christmas as the
'holiday
> > > season'?
>
> Well, let's see, could it be because these days are (duh) heavy-duty
> "holy days" for several key religions?

You're forgetting the secular "holiday" of New Years and the national
holiday of Thanksgiving.  Of course, the latter has a religious tinge.

I also think in America today, despite the religious revivalism, most
people think of "holiday" as a day off work.  I don't see many of my
neighbors whipping themselves or going to church everytime there's a
holiday.  :)

Regards,

Dan