[ExI] Singularity as a complex adaptive system - What does the environment look like?

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sun Dec 16 20:27:38 UTC 2007

At 11:23 AM 12/16/2007, you wrote:
>On 12/16/07, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
>
> >  If you were to design an environment which includes NBIC advances as they
> > affect posthumanism, transhumanism, cyborgs, transhumans, posthumans, as
> > contingent and overlapping spheres, what would it look like?
>
>Natasha, do you really want a description of an environment that:
>
>"includes NBIC advances" as if we could actually imagine with
>significant certainty any such complex future scenario,

Well it is past, present and future.

If you have an environment (use a circle) and that environment is the
"corpus" of "ideas" within which Human 2.0, Human 3.0, etc. are
spawned and that environment contains all of transhumanism.  The
environment has overlapping characteristics of humanism (another
circle when is part in and part out of the corpus of ideas), and
another overlapping circle which is the environment of scientific
ideas which are spawned or interconnect within this corpus of ideas
(this circle when is part in and part out of the corpus of ideas),
and another overlapping circle of science fiction which are spawned
or interconnect within this corpus of ideas (another circle when is
part in and part out of the corpus of ideas).

What is this corpus of ideas called? It is not transhumanism, as
transhumanism is one environment within it.  You could call it
posthumanism, but posthumanism, as described and defined by various
folks, is not accurate and lacks vision and imagination, not to
mention a bibliography of literature pertaining to biotechnology,
nanotechnology, etc.

In other words, if the singularity were a discontinuity of a series
of reinforcing and balancing loops, what would that environment
(corpus of ideas) be?  (Sure it could be Extropy, but maybe not.)

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha<http://www.natasha.cc/> Vita-More
PhD Candidate,  Planetary Collegium - CAiiA, situated in the Faculty
of Technology,
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics,
University of Plymouth, UK
<http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
<http://extropy.org/>Thinking About the <http://extropy.org/>Future

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller