[ExI] simulation

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Dec 17 03:50:14 UTC 2007

On Dec 15, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 11:17:17AM -0600, Bryan Bishop wrote:
>
>> And what if we build our own fiber optics to connect the nodes
>> together?
>
> I thought you were talking linking up volunteer's machines via
> residential broadband. If it's a local cluster, e.g. Myrinet will
> set you back some 1 k$/node. That leaves you with 2 k$/node,
> or 2 MBuck/1 kNode. Don't forget that you'd need 200 k$/year
> for juice, minus air conditioning and admining (allow for
> 1 MBuck/year operational costs otherwise).

Perhaps we could start by getting one of the existing compute farms
with a lot of spare bandwidth interested.

>> I wonder why I said we need self-rep, all we need is the ability to
>> make
>> the factories and then let them churn out the cpu nodes. Might take a
>
> We already have those -- they're called silicon foundries, and
> take multiple gigabucks to build and run.

They already exist and turn out a lot of product.  How much product
are we talking about?  How far out of normal custom chip design and
fabrication parameters?

>> while for them to make enough nodes, operating at peak efficiency,
>> but
>> at least we'd be on track.
>
> Let's wait for desktop fabs, which will allow you to generate
> dedicated hardware for neural emulation while being affordable
> (0.1-1 M$). Maybe in another 25-30 years.

Most of us don't have that long.

- samantha