[ExI] simulation

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Mon Dec 17 18:42:01 UTC 2007

> On Sunday 16 December 2007, Samantha Atkins wrote:
>> > How complex is a simulation of a single cortical column?  Sorry if I
>> >   missed that critical bit of information.
>
> For a mouse, that's 100k neurons and 30 million synapses.

That's true if you think it makes sense to simulate at the biological
level.  I think it makes more sense to simulate at the functional level.
   The place I'd start is with a very careful read of Jeff Hawkins' "On
Intelligence".

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qg2dmntfxmQC

Hawkins proposes a pretty thorough model of how the cortical columns
work individually, and how they work together to produce a predicting
machine that is likely to support intelligence.  You could try to
construct such a thing yourself, or you could look into the results that
his institute has produced.  I think they're either selling or
open-sourcing their models.  Someone here surely knows more.

A simulation at this level would be a lot cheaper, and if Hawkins is
right, would capture the essential emergent properties of the cortex'
building blocks.

Chris
--
All sensory cells [in all animals] have in common the presence of
... cilia [with a constant] structure.  It provides a strong

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org