[ExI] Where is Consciousness located?

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Dec 23 16:35:18 UTC 2007

: Brent Allsop

> John has always claimed that if phenomenal properties are not objectively
> or abstractly detectable, then evolution could not select for them.

Yes that is exactly true.

> He then concludes that this is an argument that phenomenal properties do
> not exist.

That is exactly untrue. If I did believe that then I would be more than
wrong I would be insane, and I don’t mean a little eccentric, I mean
straight jacket Thorazine level crazy.

> the argument is that it is possible that phenomenal properties of nature
> could be used to accomplish the same intelligent representation and
> comprehension of knowledge and motivation much more easily and naturally,
> than other merely abstract, or whatever zombie processes.

Then you must agree with me that you could “much more easily” make a
conscious AI than a unconscious AI, and you must agree that the Singularity
will be caused by a conscious being. Our only disagreement is that you think
intelligence without consciousness is extremely difficult but possible, I
think it’s impossible and even if it’s not you will never be able to prove
it.

 John K Clark