[ExI] Where is Consciousness located?

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Sun Dec 23 21:33:57 UTC 2007

Lee Said: >> If it does, then it is perfectly capable of complaining
bitterly to the world when its internal states are not satisfactory.  And
that's exactly the situation we always see. >>

The best synonym I can come up with for "Conciousness" is "Self Awareness"

But most animals which are kept as pets exhibit this same behavior as Lee
mentions when their internal expectations are not met.

And yet I wouldn't say they possess the same level of consciousness as a
human being.

Even among humans there are pronounced differences in the level of apparent
conciousness from person to person.

The term higher conciousness has has been used by philosophers and new agers
to describe people who do not simply react to stimuli as an animal would but
are ruled more by deliberate introspection, moral tenets and altruism.

One does not have to look any further than sociopaths though to see that
higher intelligence does not always go hand in hand with altruism.

I wonder if a human being raised in the wild would demonstrate any more self
awareness than that of any other wild animal.

Which leads to the question....  Is much of what we consider to be
conciousness learned behavior?

Is conciousness a single trait or is it a scale of "Self Awareness"?

Ironically many philosophies and religions equate higher conciousness with
the loss of identification with the ego or the self.

_