[ExI] Great Minds

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Dec 24 15:49:39 UTC 2007

At 08:12 PM 12/23/2007, Ian wrote:
>While reading Science News I happened upon an ad for
>the new book:
>
>Beyond Human: Living with Robots and Cyborgs
>http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765310821
>
>Notice the nice cover art, a spiral shaped like DNA
>leading into a metallic robot. It immediately reminded
>me of Natasha's ingenious creation:
>
>DNA BREAKOUT!
>http://www.natasha.cc/image1.htm
>
>A good example that great minds think alike!

Ian, this is a lovely gift you have given to me.  Because I do not
have a book out and am currently not exhibiting in any museums, my
work goes unnoticed - unless it pop ups in a lecture I am
giving.  You are a dear and have warmed my heart and this is the
nicest XMas - "standing still" in the moment that I have had all year! :-)

Natasha

>Though I think Natasha's piece has deeper and more
>coherent meaning. The book-cover art connotes a
>progression from life to robots, or that humans lead
>to robots. On the other hand, Natasha's design
>connotes something much more spectacular. It's message
>points to a continuation of *self* beyond DNA. In it
>we see Natasha herself breaking out of DNA. Not a
>replacement humans with cold robots, but the implied
>migration of *self* from one support medium to another
>-- a message of individual liberation. A truly
>fantastic vision! ~Ian

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha<http://www.natasha.cc/> Vita-More
PhD Candidate,  Planetary Collegium - CAiiA, situated in the Faculty
of Technology,
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics,
University of Plymouth, UK
<http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture
<http://extropy.org/>Thinking About the <http://extropy.org/>Future

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller