[ExI] Asteroid on track for possible Mars hit

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Dec 25 07:22:54 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John K Clark
>
> It all came to nothing of course, in 1963 the test ban treaty was signed
> stopping all nuclear explosions in space or the atmosphere making Orion
> illegal. The project died, but to this day most say it would have worked
> technologically if not politically.
>
>   John K Clark

John I think that treaty would allows us to carry nukes to LEO, ja?.  I
agree the nuclear upper stages are a great idea, but atmospheric stages
would be a huge headache from an engineering point of view.  I don't even
see how it could be practically done, even if the treaty hadn't outlawed it.
But no matter: we can still use them to get hauling once we have the stuff
in orbit.

I can make a stronger case: if we needed to get a wacky high amount of delta
Vee, the Orion might be the only really practical way to git R done.  A
chemical rocket would require (I think) at least five stages to get up to
the 30 km/sec we discussed before, but eight stages would be more efficient.
Then of course the vehicle is crazy complicated, and would likely need
extensive assembly in LEO.