[ExI] LA Times: Drugs to build up that mental muscle

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 23:46:35 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 25 December 2007, PJ Manney wrote:
> Front page article in the Los Angeles Times on brain doping.  Took
> them long enough to notice.  The article has an odd focus and feels
> pieced together by someone who doesn't know much about the subject --
> I've seen more interesting hooks and data elsewhere.  But at least
> it's getting mainstream press.

What do you mean by "at least"? Mainstream attention is detrimental to
the well-being of the alt-cog or augcog industry. The public will want
to ban it: those who can't afford it will question why it is that
others get to be smarter by some 'miracle pill', among other things.

Luckily, as the article suggests, there are some fronts that seem to be
OK, like the ADHD scene (ahem) with quiet dissmissal of any of the
issues so far.