[ExI] Universal languages (was: wta-talk Voting Members ...)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 20:14:39 UTC 2007

On Friday 28 December 2007, x at extropica.org wrote:
> Riccardo suggests a **solution** involving the adoption of Esperanto
> to facilitate (or would it impose?) a more effective framework for
> communication.  In contrast, past discussions on the extropy list
> involved ideas such as E-Prime and General Semantics, Loglan and
> Logban, and more fundamental approaches to effective interaction with
> extra-terrestrials, robots, and entities organic, inorganic, or
> perhaps otherwise.

I doubt language would be any immediate method of communicating with
alien/foreign intelligence, although an emergent language ("meaning
exchange protocol" ?) may develop over time through interactions with
the alien presence. Cosmic OS is interesting, but probably going in the
wrong direction.

Previously I've tried to imagine building up a fundamental minimalist
language, and the more I thought about its implementation the more I
realized I was trying to capture the essence of actions into a conlang,
which makes little sense: you should just _do_ the action instead.

Oh, and happy birthday. :)

- Bryan