[ExI] elections again

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Dec 30 16:28:48 UTC 2007

On Sunday 30 December 2007 08:35, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On 12/30/07, Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 December 2007 14:28, Mirco Romanato wrote:
> > > Do you prefer suppress freedom or suppress conflicts?
> >
> > I prefer that we suppress conflicts.
>
> I do not. If this put me for once in the "libertarian, randian, social
> darwinist" camp, so be it. :-)

I believe your choices were too limiting.  I do not believe that one has to
choose to ignore conflicts to claims rights, or that choosing to
resolve/avoid conflicts will reduce rights.  Even though we chose different
choices from your dichotomy, I do not see these as opposite sides.

For example, choosing gun rights in Washington, DC is fine, except that you
will have to hide your guns, could be arrested for having them, and will have
them taken away the first time they are ever seen or used.  Resolving the gun
laws first will greatly increase the ability to enjoy gun rights later.  So
in that example, I would expect a gun enthusiast to resolve the conflict
(change the gun laws) or avoid the conflict (move out of DC) first rather
than choosing to ignore the law and traffic in illegal guns instead.

My entire point is that the choosing the rights will result in conflict and
suppression of those rights unless the conflicts are resolved first.
Resolving the conflicts is a path to enjoying the rights.  Choosing the
rights first, and ignoring the conflict, is a less effective path to enjoying
expanded rights.

Another example would be tax reform.  Refusing to pay one's taxes and holing
up in a house full of guns fighting off federal marshals is not an effectrive
choice of "freedom from taxes".  Only by changing tax laws and resolving
other people's expectations that everyone must pay taxes can such a person
hope to get away with it.  Claiming these rights without resolving the
conflicts will not work.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.harveynewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI GSEC IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP