[ExI] elections again

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Dec 30 16:42:37 UTC 2007

"Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com>

> We have to be careful to create technologies
> that do not impose our will on others, or they will rebel.

Or make certain the technology is so powerful that the rebellion is of
trivial importance.

> How can someone create a super-AI without
> threatening the people who don't want the
> possibility of an AI dictator?

That is an easy question to answer, you can't.

> How can someone build robot workers without
> threatening people who don't want to lose their jobs?

Ditto.

> These technologies will always be controversial until
> they can somehow be limited to the people who want them
> without disrupting the rest of the people who don't.

In other words these  technologies will always be controversial, but I
maintain that fact is of no practical importance, that is to say it will
not effect the course of the future one iota. Well ok maybe an iota,
but no more than that.

   John K Clark