[extropy-chat] astro lass goes orbital

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 10:20:06 UTC 2007

On 2/10/07, ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:

> Not trying to harsh anyone's buzz, here, but we have to face the fact
> that we are still very largely the products of undirected evolution. I
> bet there are things that can make even you 'go apeshit', even if you
> wish they didn't.

Yeah, astronauts are fallible human beings like the rest of us. It may be a
surprise that a particular person flips out like that, but it shouldn't be a
surprise that nonzero percentage of any group will do it if you wait long
enough. It's part of living in an imperfect world.

So when that celeb does claim to be the first, expect some hoary old
> ex-NASA astronaut to pipe up "Well, actually..."

Is there enough room on a spaceship for that sort of thing? I was under the
impression it'd be rather like doing it on a seven-person minibus tour where
you can't leave the minibus: not physically impossible, but in practice
you'd probably wait until you're on the ground, off duty and in private.