[extropy-chat] ESP controls

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Feb 11 17:29:36 UTC 2007

At 01:37 AM 2/11/2007 -0500,  John K Clark wrote:

>  ESP "research" is even worse; the idea that a
>control experiment is a luxury and not a necessity.

Could you elaborate on that, John? Which psi experiments do you mean
that have no controls?

Presumably not the bulk of the PEAR REG trials, where the
long-established protocol is specifically designed with no optional
stopping, and with ternary target conditions (higher than chance,
lower than chance, baseline or no effort), and those mutually
controlling conditions augmented by calibration runs of the REG while
nobody is making any psi attempts.

I could list other controls for different protocols, but I'd prefer
to learn precisely which experiments you're talking about. Or will
you default to your fallback position of "Jahn and the others are
probably just inventing their data"? Or Dennett's dynamite rebuttal,
which I cited the other day: "You don't think I waste my time
actually reading this stuff do you?"

Damien Broderick