[extropy-chat] Save the World

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Feb 11 23:11:49 UTC 2007

At 08:47 AM 2/12/2007 +1030, you wrote:

snip
>As to "scrubbing greenhouse gaess out of the atmosphere",
>that's a red herring. They're are already being rather efficiently
>scrubbed, what is needed is reducing our emissions.

I have said for 20 years that the real carbon dioxide crisis will come from
*to little* of it in the atmosphere.  The reason is that diamond or carbon
nanotubes are the best engineering material for a lot of uses.  "Come the
revolution" (the nanotech revolution) carbon will rapidly be mined out of
the air to build structures large and small.  Want a vacuum tunnel from NYC
to LA?  Plant a line of engineered trees that suck carbon out of the air
and excrete diamond deep underground for the tube shell.

Given more energy than sunlight to power the process, it could go really fast.

Keith Henson