[extropy-chat] Cold Fusion Survey

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Mon Feb 12 17:53:42 UTC 2007

I'm neither a chemist or a physicist, and haven't participated in the CF
discussion.  But I read widely in science, and occasionally support
out-of-the-mainstream theories.  ( Gold's "Deep, Hot Biosphere", de
Grey's SENS proposal, Cryonics, Nanotech long before SciAm caved in, but
not psi.)

> 1A. The probability that CF excess heat is a real phenomena, as
> opposed to misleading experimental technique.

not more than 5%. maybe less.

> 2A.  The probability that CF excess heat is a real phenomena, and
> indicates fundamental new physics, as opposed to a new chemistry
> detail, such as a unexpected molecular structure.

The chance of new fundamental physics at the level of QED or String
Theory is negligible.  If I understand the distinction, HT
superconductors are "unexpected molecular structure".  I don't think
there's a noticeable chance that CF rises above that.

> 1B.  The threshold probability for 1A that would justify further
> research into CF.

After 15 years, 5% may not be good enough.  People who understand the
physics and chemistry better would have to do a more thorough
evaluation.  This may be at the level I described when talking about
Technology Review's SENS challenge.
http://pancrit.blogspot.com/2006/07/sens-debate-continued.html
A small panel of serious,  respected researchers appointed to take a
serious look at the evidence.  Their role would be to actually look at
the evidence.  I don't fault Dennet for being willing to debate without
looking at individual reports, but there comes a time when someone
should actually do so.

> 2B.  The threshold probability for 2A that would justify further
> research into CF.

Somewhere above negligible.  (i.e. this doesn't provide the necessary
justification for continued funding.)

Chris
--
C. J. Cherryh, "Invader", on why we visit very old buildings:
       "A sense of age, of profound truths.  Respect for something

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org