[extropy-chat] D-Wave premiere of 16 qubit processor

Ricardo Barreira rbarreira at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 12:16:49 UTC 2007

> QC, if indeed practical, is a good match for some problems (RSA,
> via number factoring) but a bad one for others (IDEA, for instance).
> I doubt QC is useful for brute-forcing most block cyphers, for instance.

QC gives a quadratic speedup on brute-forcing ciphers, which means
that if we want to account for quantum computing, we need to double
the size of our keys. So QC is not such a big deal for symmetric
ciphers as far as I know, but it's still useful. I suppose that if
D-wave's QC design is proven to be scalable, it's surely time do
starting using AES-256 instead of AES.