[extropy-chat] D-Wave premiere of 16 qubit processor

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 18:19:29 UTC 2007

On 2/14/07, Ben Goertzel <ben at goertzel.org> wrote:

> It is worth distinguishing as a different category, AI systems that aim at
> general intelligence (in roughly the sense of the g-factor from psychology)
> rather than achievement in highly specialized domains.  I have come to the
> conclusion that pursuit of general intelligence and pursuit of specialized
> intelligence are quite different sorts of science/engineering tasks.

I agree.  And given the 3 problems I pointed out earlier I have little hope
that a good human level or even better than human level AGI, even a
self-improving AGI, would be as good at solving those problems as dedicated
hardware and software solutions should be.  Given the difference that good
solutions to those problems would make I'd rather see the emphasis placed on
them than on QC or AGI.

One interesting question, IMO, would be what *fraction* of the neurons (or
power consumed) by the brain is actually dedicated to intelligent thought
vs. what fraction is dedicated to storing and retreiving memory, sensory
processing, motor control, maintenance of internal state, etc.?  Given the
way memory trends seem to be going we are going to cross over the memory
storage metrics (W/bit or bits/sec) much sooner than we will cross over the
computational metrics (instructions/W or instructions/sec).

Robert