[extropy-chat] Space elevator numbers III

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Feb 15 00:22:06 UTC 2007

At 09:37 PM 2/14/2007 +0100, Eugen wrote:

snip

>What do you think about the proposed lunar elevator, made from
>commercial aramide?

It doesn't matter what I think about it technically, there just isn't any
need for it in the context of an SPS deployment scheme that depends on
bootstrapping from the ground.  Oh, I could make Dr. O'Neill's case for
building up an entire space industry and building SPS out of lunar
materials.  But that's already been judged as too risky simply because of
the huge number of steps to making a profit from selling power.

snip

Keith