[extropy-chat] Space elevator numbers III

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Feb 15 16:09:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:23:10AM -0500, Keith Henson wrote:

> Sigh.  You need to dig into Tom Heppenheimer's 30+ year old technical work

I was hoping for a resident orbit mechanic, or at least someone
who could fire off a Matlab or Mathematica one-liner in
a half a minute.

> on achromatic orbits.  What are you going to launch and where are you going

I'm trying to launch 1-100 kg sized packets, preferrably in a
rapid-firing sequence somewhere from the lunar north pole just fast
enough to reach escape velocity and then be captured by Earth.
It might or might not require an aerobraking corridor for capture
and/or orbit circularization. This should work, but I'd rather
not do the math.

> to launch it too?  And how are you going to collect it?

Not collect, this is supposed to unfold into um-thin PV
platforms somewhere in Earth orbit, which do realtime
phased array beamforming, tracking rectenna ground stations.
There should be several such platforms in line of sight
in order that the target illumination is semi-steady.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._A._Heppenheimer
> >
> >Power alone is not alone a motivator, since this leaves you
> >with a teleoperated industry basis which can grow exponentially.
>
> To do what?

To disassemble parts of the Moon and the planetoids into an
optically dense circumsolar computational node cloud, as
habitats for a solid-state civilization.