[extropy-chat] Save the World

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Fri Feb 16 00:28:51 UTC 2007

Emlyn wrote:

> On 15/02/07, Thomas <Thomas at thomasoliver.net
> <mailto:Thomas at thomasoliver.net>> wrote:
>
>     giorgio gaviraghi wrote:
>
>     >[...]
>     >Creating new seas and oceans in desert areas by deflecting the
>     extra water in canals to the prepared locations.
>     >[...]
>     >
>     That would require quite a desalination effort unless you could get it
>     to rain oceans. -- Thomas
>

> It'd be ok for it to be a salty sea. Wouldn't this have the potential
> to create new rainfall in that region, if it were large enough?

Yeah, inland salt water storage might save some beaches -- cities even.

Rainfall in what region?  With a steady wind from ocean to mountains
advection effects might be predictable.  Perhaps such natural
circumstances could be found, otherwise one would have a big furniture
rearranging job.  Preparing a sea bed seems a mammoth undertaking for
starters.  I'd hate to see fresh ground water polluted with salt.  I
think the prospect of irrigation water provides a major incentive.  --
Thomas