[extropy-chat] Space elevator numbers III

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 07:54:16 UTC 2007

--- Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:

> Keith Henson
> >Space debris and Van Allen belt radiation need to
> be considered in the
> >context of a space elevator.
>
> There's a debris fragmentation cascade in our
> future. The debris problem
> will get a lot worse, quickly, in the near future,
> in other words.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/06/news/space.php

If it's any consolation, before we can travel to the
stars, we need to develop effective shielding against
cosmic rays and space debris at relativistic speeds
any ways. Debris at orbital speeds is just good
practice. I do agree it is exceptionally problematic
for a space elevator.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Now what I contend is that my body is my own, at least I have always so regarded it. If I do harm through my experimenting with it, it is I who suffers, not the state." -Mark Twain