[extropy-chat] Space elevator numbers III

giorgio gaviraghi giogavir at yahoo.it
Fri Feb 16 15:47:47 UTC 2007

Keith
don't misunerstand me
I am not at all oppose to the space elevator concept
It it works it could make space accessibility extremely affordable.
What I am opposed to is the current strategy to send everything from earth, the bottom of the deep gravity well.
We should send from earth only people and sophisticated products, everything else, like structures, solar panels, life support systems etc should be supplied by space based bodies easily accessible (asteroids and comets).
The entire NASA plans are based in this extremely expensive and no win strategy.
We had a 40 year hiatus after Apollo we risk another one after Orion.Mankind can't afford that in the 21st century.