[extropy-chat] Space elevator vs. space pier

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Feb 16 22:20:17 UTC 2007

At 02:27 PM 2/16/2007 -0600, Chris wrote:
>I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on comparison of feasibility,
>cost/benefit, and failure modes between the space elevator and the space pier.
>
><http://autogeny.org/tower/tower.html>http://autogeny.org/tower/tower.html

I have seen this before.

The general problem with compressive structures is bending and
buckling--especially with a structure that is going to have high side
impulse loads at the top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling

Given the mechanical properties of Diamond and a good design program, you
could probably work out what it would take design this structure.  I
suspect that it would take about 7 or 8 levels of fractals to get the
stiffness you need to prevent buckling.  Comparatively the space elevator
is simple to design.

Putting it up would be an interesting exercise unless it was just grown in
place by nanotech assemblers.

The other disadvantage (compared to the space elevator) is that it put you
into low earth orbit and even there you need a rocket to circularize the
orbit.  It really should be built on the equator.

Keith