[extropy-chat] Fwd: CNN features amazing user with autism

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sun Feb 25 12:30:04 UTC 2007

Anne Corwin:
>Some people's real lives really are so outside what most people would
>expect that all attempts to apply the usual person-appraisal heuristics
>fail miserably.  It doesn't make those lives any less real -- it just
>means that reality is bigger and more complicated than a lot of people
>give it credit for most of the time.

Thank you for saying that!  (*)

This article makes me think that there are aspects of autism that
overlap with highly-sensitive-persons "HSP" (such as me).

http://www.answers.com/topic/highly-sensitive-person

I'm an unusual HSP because I have no fear about almost everything, but
I do get 'overloaded' relatively easily and need time to recover if I am
in a high stimulation situation/environment for any length of time.
Those recovery times can be substantial withdrawal periods.

Amara

(*)
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2007/02/nasa-launch-of-themis-sattelite.html#c23366518350141128
--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
INAF Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI), Roma, ITALIA