[extropy-chat] Fwd: CNN features amazing user with autism

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Feb 25 20:56:47 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> wrote:
> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> > But if we gain control over our own minds so that we are no longer
> > slaves to the subgoals and supergoals set by evolution, and the biological
> > housekeeping functions are taken care of by a trivial subroutine, then who
> > is to decide that spending your life blissfully flicking a stream of water
> > from the tap with your hand because that's what you have decided to want
> > to do (not necessarily because that is what you were born or raised to want
> > to do) is less worthy than any other activity?
> >

> You might enjoy a movie I recently rented: Idiocracy

Who's to say he wouldn't enjoy any movie as much as any other movie. ;-)

While it's fashionable and considered by some to be the height of
morality to argue that all preferences are equally valid, it is
morally indefensible.

It's even more irksome than teleological references to "evolutionary
goals and subgoals."

[With sincere respect for Stathis, who is enjoyably thoughtful and
considerate...even when he's wrong.]  ;-)

- Jef