[extropy-chat] hear everything: CNN features amazing user with autism

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 26 01:21:00 UTC 2007

> Subject: [extropy-chat] Fwd: CNN features amazing user with autism
>
> spike66 at comcast.net :
> >Jef I noticed that most of her song consists of actual pitches that can
> be
> >found on a piano keyboard.  The fact that perhaps 10% were not close to a
> >standard pitch makes it even more interesting.
>

> Wow! I didn't know you have perfect pitch, Spike.
> I think it is possible she was singing in a maqam mode ... ? Amara

My western ear is not accustomed to hearing the quarter tones, so you may be
right on that.  If she really is doing a tempered non-chromatic scale, I am
even more impressed and mystified.

Regarding perfect pitch, my own abilities are better described as relative
pitch.  I can tell if an instrument is out of tune with the 440, but only if
it is bad enough.  {8^D  My ears are better than my eyes.

On or near this topic is something I have been thinking about for some time.
We are awash in information from our senses.  Our brains discard most of it
without interpreting.  We need to do this, otherwise we could never
concentrate.  We constantly tune out most sounds.  So here is my idea: take
some time to listen to a quiet room.  An office works pretty well if it is
not too chaotic, like an office one might see at an aerospace company.
There are distant conversations that one can actually hear and interpret, if
one concentrates for instance.

The exercise I was thinking about is to try to figure out who is coming by
the sound of their footsteps.  Everyone makes a slightly different sound
when coming up the isle.  For instance the steps might not be equally
spaced, especially in older people.  Or there might be a distinct heel
strike toe strike, or a heel scuff followed by a flat footed step.  Older
people are more likely to roll the foot, perhaps unconsciously, to reduce
stress on the knees.

If you close your eyes and listen carefully, you might be surprised at how
much information can be gathered with sound alone.  Put on a pair of hard
soled shoes, then walk around listening for the echo of sound bouncing off
of a vertical surface.  You will eventually see how it is that blind people
manage to navigate without sight.