[extropy-chat] Sasha is alive!

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 05:56:09 UTC 2007

Samantha, if I could answer the first question I would start Resurrection Inc.!
Of course you mean in principle, and not in detail. I do not have, of
course, the foggiest idea. A fictional technique that might work if
its assumptions are correct has been described by Sir A. Clarke and
Stephen Baxter in "The Light of Other Days" (links in
http://transumanar.com/index.php/site/engineering_transcendence/) and
is a way to retrieve very high resolution information from the past
without time travel.

Ben's technique based on everything being entangled with almost
everything else might also work, when we have the necessary tech.

As you say, the MWI avoids logical paradoxes by "permitting" only time
travel to "parallel" branches of the multiverse. But since these can
be arbitrarily close to ours (as far as the popular terminology based
on parallel universes makes sense, which I doubt), the copy could be
close enough to the original to be acceptable as a copy in the
identity sense.

The motivation argument. Suppose we had this technology now. We would
certainly use it to resurrect, say, Albert Einstein. But then *he*
would do his best to resurrect his family and friends. And then *they*
would do their best...
G.