[extropy-chat] what is probability?.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 01:28:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:33:12 -0500, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> If Copenhagen is right then something is frequent because it is probable.

I might agree with that. Let's see if we might agree for the same reason:

I think that to say as you do that "something is frequent because it is
probable" is to say that the probability of an outcome is a property of
the object itself (e.g., a property of a die, as a physical disposition of
the die before it is rolled) or (alternatively and perhaps more
accurately) that the probability is a property of the entire experimental
arrangement (e.g., a property of a die rolling experiment, which includes
not only the physics of the die but also the physics of the surface on
which it is thrown, the physics of the air turbulence, and the physics of
anything else in the universe that affects the outcome).

Is that more or less what you mean? This is propensity theory, and I think
it's no coincidence that the language about "property of the entire
experimental arrangement" sounds similar to Bohr's.

-gts