[extropy-chat] Sasha is alive!

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Jan 4 14:01:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 11:25:56AM -0200, Lúcio de Souza Coelho wrote:

> I am also rather skeptic about relativistic flight in the foreseeable
> future. In 30-40 years with a lot of lucky maybe we will have a solar
> sail or Orion or fission-fragment propulsion craft flying at less than
> 1% of lightspeed. (Well... Although there maybe beam-probes going much
> faster than that. Again with a lot of lucky.)

You could arguably build a small dumb >>0.9 c beam probe in a 30-40 years
time frame, provided people would make it a priority (we almost
certainly won't). It wouldn't be able to brake well, obviously.

> But if we are talking about exotic, far-future relativistic stasis,
> one can also produce a small black hole somewhere in the Solar System

A small one wouldn't work. There's not enough mass in a solar system
to have a singularity with gravity gradient a human body could tolerate.

Also, I would want to know how you made it collapse in the first place.

Also, you need to have really clean space in order to avoid having
an uncomfortably bright accretion disk.

Also, I'm not sure hovering just above event horizon would
be buying you all that much time, and I would sure like to see
how descending up and down that potential hole is energetically
different from a real relativistic trip.

There don't seem to be too many free lunches, unfortunately.
What's wrong with human cryopreservation? Or CR, for that matter?
Perhaps not very glamorous, but this stuff has been working for
a long while now, and gets only better.