[extropy-chat] R: what is probability?

scerir scerir at libero.it
Wed Jan 10 17:55:31 UTC 2007

As for me, I confess a modest bias in the direction
of objectivism and the correspondence theory.
-gts

Something that might interest you.
A famous paper by David Mermin, the Ithaca interpretation, in which he
developes a sort of 'objective probability' in quantum mechanics. As you
know there are several problems there, ie because of the statistical
interpretation (a quantum state only represents an ensemble of similarly
prepared states, a strange position this one because it seems to introduce a
sort of hidden variables). As you can see Mermin, following Popper's
'propensity' and Heisenberg's 'potentia', seems to think that a single
quantum state may also represent itself, and not just an ensemble. This sort
of ontological position (different from Einstein's realism and his
'ignorance' interpretation) is interesting since Mermin is not so far from
Copenhagen.