[extropy-chat] what is probability?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 13 18:25:03 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Benjamin Goertzel
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] what is probability?
>
> > Setting aside the cube factory paradox for the moment,
> > consider this more famous example:
> >
> > "Consider a fixed circle and select a chord at random.
> > What is the probability that this random chord is
> > longer than the side of the equilateral triangle
> > inscribed in the circle?" (as given by Gillies, 2000)
> >
> > At least three very plausible solutions exist to this
> > problem, and I think it can be shown that an infinity
> > of them exist, each which gives a different answer to
> > the question (depending of course on our choice of
> > sample space)...

Cool problem!  I see how one could get either one third or one half with
what appears to be equally valid assumptions.  I think I see how one could
argue that there are infinitely many solutions via the same path I found the
other two.  Shows to go ya, statistics are tricky things.

Please I missed a few posts while changing diapers; what is the cube factory
paradox?