[extropy-chat] The Bible Belt Paradox

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 16:15:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:22:58 -0500, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
wrote:

> If I'm wrong, do you have a better explanation for what shall hitherto
> be known as The Bible Belt Paradox?

In fact I did some research on a similar question last year and learned
that red states, especially in the deep south, have lower per capita
incomes (and higher poverty rates too, if I remember correctly) than blue
states. So the higher crime rates in red states may be better explained by
ordinary economic factors than by factors relating to religion.

This is not to say the religion factor is not related to the question, but
consider that the cause-effect relationship, if any, may be in the
direction opposite to that supposed in your paradox.

In other words, perhaps higher crime rates are a cause of higher
religiosity, not the other way around.

-gts