[extropy-chat] The Bible Belt Paradox

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Mon Jan 15 20:31:55 UTC 2007

Damien wrote:
>Given that internal migration within the States is not difficult if
>you have the money and get-up-and-go to get up and go, I expect
>there's been a slow, steady attrition of talent, intelligence,
>impulse control and imagination from the "red" to the "blue" regions
>(roughly speaking). Smart people are less likely to adhere to
>bible-thumping, and less likely to get into violent mischief of a
>personal order--

Maybe.  Although there has been a big migration for economic reasons into the Sun Belt cities.

>but once you arrive at the WoMD scale, I think
>there'd be fewer godbotherers among the nuclearti and weapons-grade hackers.

Given the recent reports about Justice Dept. and Pentagon prayer groups and the fact that internal promotion in these departments is tied with one's attendence and religious philosophy, I'm not so sure.

I'm waiting to hear an official Pentagon concern about "precious bodily fluids" any day now.  ;-)

PJ