[extropy-chat] System dynamics (Urban dynamics)

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Tue Jan 16 23:54:22 UTC 2007

"The model was, and is, very controversial, because it illustrates why many
well-known urban policies are either ineffective or make urban problems
worse. Further, the model shows that counter-intuitive policies -- i.e.,
policies that appear at first glance to be incorrect, often yield
startlingly effective results. As an example, in the Urban Dynamics model,
a policy of building low income housing creates a poverty trap that helps
to stagnate a city, while a policy of tearing down low income housing
creates jobs and a rising standard of living for all of the city's
inhabitants."

http://www.systemdynamics.org/DL-IntroSysDyn/origin.htm

I might add that system dynamics has a lot of ad hoc assumptions in the
models.  Most of them are reasonable ones, such as economics, birth rated
integrating to population levels and the like.

But now that Anders got me to thinking about this, system dynamics lacks a
foundation to the level of biology.

Another application for evolutionary psychology!

Keith