[extropy-chat] Fusion Power: Linchpin Technology?

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 03:19:28 UTC 2007

21:12 Thursday, 18 January 2007

> How about thorium reactors based on liquid flouride salts?  We have
> the technology to do that right now.  Fusion would be great, but it
> requires much more capital.  Positive net-energy fusion plants won't
> be seen for 5-10 years at least.  But there is enough thorium ore to
> cover the world's fuel needs for decades.

_If_ Bussard's Polywell turns out as everything it's cracked up to be,
we might have a good rocket engine.

I haven't read of any such thing for thorium reactors. There might lie
in the enormous amount of material at the blog MA gave a thousand
superior designs.

(In the great and glorious someday, I will catch up on my reading.)

OTOH, you can drive a paper spaceship with paper power plants to any
destination you like by simply torturing the data until it confesses.

Jay Dugger
Sometimes the delete key serves best.