[extropy-chat] frozen in fire

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sun Jan 21 05:34:45 UTC 2007

spike wrote:

> This notion actually came up when you and Greg Burch were at my humble abode
> a few years ago.  You may recall my family picture wall.  I observed while
> pointing out a photo of my great great grandfather that I would likely be
> unwilling to put significant resources into bringing him back today.  But my
> grandfather, with whom I bonded emotionally in many ways more than with my
> own parents, I would put my every last dollar into bringing him back to
> life.  But I doubt my son would be interested in him, having never met him.

In every generation, unto the furthest star and the deepest depths of
Time, for as long as that light lasts which began in the human species,
there will be those who care for every sibling of the family Sentience.
  Those who help freeze you may not know you, but for your sake they
have set themselves against Death to shatter the scythe.  And others of
that same kind, also shall revive the frozen.