[extropy-chat] ethical issues with children

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 22:24:39 UTC 2007

I would be interested in the "chemistry experiments" that one did on a
boat.  The chemistry "experiments" that resulted from unmanaged relocation
of chemical reagents from one part of my parents house to another part
(without "due diligence") may have subsequently resulted in the burning of
the house.  (Bradbury's and "fire" -- a long long history...).

I do not deny that learning chemistry is an important part of any child's
education.  However some of the paths (such as my father's assembly of
significant quantities of gunpowder to blow up tree stumps) are no longer
available.  But the materials for the production of ammonium nitrogen
triiodide were around in the basement... don't ask...

But Amara's point is well taken.  Dolls do not generally produce an
expertise in chemistry.

Robert