[extropy-chat] META: Re: what is probability?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 22 00:20:32 UTC 2007

At 12:54 AM 1/22/2007 +0100, Anders wrote:

>t of mailing list data rather
>throughly, producing the following result:
>http://www.aleph.se/andart/archives/2007/01/competing_threads.html
>At least in the case of that mailing list I did not see any evidence for
>thread competition. Maybe it happens here anyway

Will be equally fascinating to see exi-chat treated this way! What
about numbers of individual posters? My hunch is that during frenzies
such as the dreaded g*n vortex, there was a rising number of posts in
a few interrelated threads from two or three vociferous
loons^H^H^H^H^Hindividuals. During such fits, I'd guess cooler heads
first tried the distraction tactic of enticing alternative topics,
but probably got tired and fell silent for a while until the fires were doused.

Damien Broderick